Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Big Game Baby Puke dip

There are things in life that belong together, some of those are: fatherhood, football, food and farts.  Since I have talked about poop plenty of times so far, and this blog revolves around being a father, I will now talk about football and food.  I feel these last 2 are the glue that holds many red-blooded American men together, especially during the Big Game.

I consider myself a bit of an amateur cook.  I usually stumble into things and just try to remember what I did that made it taste good.  And I have found that if in doubt….blame it on the baby (both bad food AND farts).  Besides that I enjoy a game of football, whether watching or playing with friends.  And this past Sunday was the 49ers VS the Ravens, granted the team I liked didn’t win but the food was good. 

Why am I talking all about this on a blog about being a dad?  Well every guy needs their place, or Nirvana, and mine is in the kitchen.  I just skip the barefoot and pregnant thing, not my cup of tea.

The best part is Jojo loves to chill in his newly acquired highchair, play with toys, drool, and let out his Pterodactyl screeches.  I enjoy it because I can cook and watch him, and mama does too because she can be “productive” (I still don’t know what that means but stuff gets done). 




For the Big Game I wanted to make a “wow” dip, not some run of the mill dump-n-go dip, but something that has flavor, spice, texture and cheese.  Oh glorious cheese….

So I came up with this hodgepodge of other recipes and voila - Big Game Baby Puke dip.  Why the name?  Because when I posted a picture on Facebook a friend commented it looked like baby vomit.  Thanks for the name inspiration Angel!  So here is the recipe for a great father and son/daughter experience…..oh and for the dip.

So chunky and so delicious.


Ingredients

  • 3-4 chicken breasts (about 2 lbs)
  • 1 stick (½ cup) of butter
  • ½ cup of flour
  • 4 cups of milk (I used 2% but any should work)
  • 1/3 cup of sour cream
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 1 - 15 oz can of black beans (rinsed and drained)
  • 4 cups of shredded cheese (I used a Mexican blend)
  • 2 - 10 oz cans to diced tomatoes and green chilies (I used the Ro-Tel brand) – lightly drained
  • 1 small can of green chilies
  • Minced garlic
  • Red pepper infused olive oil (not necessary but Mmmmm….so good)
  • Apple vinegar to taste
  • Seasonings of your choice (I used some ground dried Poblano peppers, onion powder, cumin, lemon pepper, cayenne pepper, and  smoked paprika/black pepper/Himalayan pink salt in a grinder)
  • Taco seasoning (I made my own mixture)
  • Side ingredient – I had a random vegan “taco filling” that I added in just to use it up


Directions

  1. Boil the chicken breasts with salt, pepper and a tablespoon of olive oil (ensure you hit 165 degrees)
  2. Remove and shred chicken (I use a dough blade on my Kitchen Aide stand mixer, so money when it comes to shredding)
    1. While shredding add in the red pepper olive oil, apple vinegar, sour cream, and some of the taco seasoning
  3. Take the butter, flour and milk and make a roux
    1. Simmer it to get it real thick since the oil in the cheese will loosen it up (keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn and whisk constantly)
  4. Once the roux is where you want it, add in the cheese at about a cup a time and let it melt completely.  Simmer to thicken.
  5. Add the sauce to a slow cooker (preferably a well used Crock-Pot from the 70’s/80’s)
  6. Mix in everything else really well
  7. Let it chill on low for at least 2 hours to heat/reheat everything thoroughly (mine was on for about 4 hours)
  8. Stir once it is heated through.


Use with chips, crusty bread, tortillas or whatever!

No comments:

Post a Comment